There is no doubt that in the 21st Century all churches struggle to attract young people to church. Fakenham Parish Church being known as the ‘Church in the Market Place’ has a variety of ways of attracting young people to church. The purpose behind all of this work is to bring the Gospel of Jesus Christ to each generation.
How is this achieved?
In this website you will see the variety of work that is undertaken, and this is always changing! Firstly children are always welcome at all services and to visit the church! We are very child friendly.
And then we have a variety of other activities:
- Stepping Stones - This weekly group for pre-school children and babies with their parents and carers meets in the Trinity Room in Church at 9.45am. The purpose behind this group is to give children an introduction to church in an informal way. Many of the children coming have already had a contact with church through baptism and this is an excellent follow up. There is no charge
- Bridges Family Service - Each month there is an informal service for children and parents on the first Sunday in the month. Again a very relaxed atmosphere. This service is also very suitable for those children and adults with special needs as the service last just 30 minutes.
- Good Friday Workshop - This annual event attracts children from all the churches in the town and gives a wonderful introduction to the story of Good Friday and Easter. Normally about 50 children attend, and there is a variety of workshops with an Easter theme.
- Messy Church - Every second Sunday in the month we have a Messy Church which is a 2 hour session of games, activities, craft, a celebration and finally a tea. This is not just for children but for families and one way the church can come together as a family. Again no charge but donations are always welcome to cover expenses.
- Servers - The Parish Church worship is supported by servers of all ages
- Choir - We have a growing choir
- Baptism and Confirmation - We welcome children of all ages to be baptised and from 11 years of age to be confirmed.
Child Protection. Fakenham Parish Church follows the guidance of the Diocese of Norwich and has its own Child Protection Officer as well as Health and Safety Committee so that children and young people are always in a safe environment in church. For further details contact, the church Child Protection Officer. Roger Burbidge 01328 862268. Full Diocesan guidelines can be seen in church. Children’s safety comes first